Thursday, October 6, 2011

Proven Wrong

I hate it when I go everywhere and I see the same person all around me. It's like everyone is cloned with the same pair of pants and the same pair of shoes. Speaking of which, from the old lady in front of me in the post office to the person sitting next to me in my History 252 class, Toms are on everyone's feet. I found myself getting extremely frustrated with this scene. I felt like everyone was trying to be everyone else and had no mental brain powers to think for themselves. I decided to investigate a bit of this Tom business. I've heard of them for years. I knew what they did, you buy a pair of shoes they give a pair away to people lacking in that. Understood. What frustrates me is seeing people doing things because it's a fad, a trend, popular. That drives me insane. People, think for yourselves!

But, I hate to admit this. I thought perhaps I converted, no, not quite yet. But, I sympathize now with Toms and see what greatness they stand for. The video was a heart strings tugger, because I know what is it for children to not have shoes. My own Mother only had one pair growing up in Peru. As I served in Peru for 18 months I associated and loved many families with children who did not have shoes either. So, this means a lot to me. I want to buy a pair so that someone without can have one.

My only hope is that people do things for the right reasons and not to be like the rest of the world. To think and decided and act with a reason behind it. I'm curious to know if I asked someone wearing Toms on campus of why they bought them if they would have a substantial reason. Please be someone with one...

changing the subject: Ab Ripper X no Yoga. We were tired. Long day. Oops.

1 comment:

  1. I too thought that I would never wear Toms... But I loved their mission statement and the fact that they use recycled products for their packaging, etc. I have two pairs that I wear constantly and yes, they are incredibly hipster but I'll be hipster if I know that I am buying from a good company. A company that wants to help compared to one that just wants your money. And if that wasn't reason enough, they are dang comfortable and durable! You'll never want to wear anything else and I even wear mine to church!

    ReplyDelete