Thursday, January 3, 2013

"You look Freakin' Porta Rican"

December 12, 2012

Characters involved:

myself= the "porta rican"
my Father= the New Yorker
my Mom= the innocent Peruvian


Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin, Luis Fonse, Marc Anthony...I'd like to think that all of these beautiful Puerto Rican people are attractive. I mean, I should know. Before Ricky Martin came out of the metaphorical closet I seriously wanted to marry the man (the irony of my life). So, when my Dad and I had this conversation, you can imagine my confusion. You see, if you THINK my Dad is giving you a compliment...you might want to re-evaluate the sentence structure of the statement. Nothing comes that easy with a guy from New York.

To give you a taste of my youth, this is a compliment from my Father from when I was probably 19.

     "Diana, you're a pretty girl,"   LONG PAUSE...You would want to take that as a compliment, wouldn't you? Well, here comes the rest...

     "...don't talk." -_____-

He thought pretty highly of himself, but, in case you didn't get it he basically told me I'm pretty but stupid.

HAHA o.o

So, it's not true---OBVIOIUSLY, excpet the positive part ;) but, you see, you can't trust what the seems like a compliment! EVER (take that as a lesson for future reference).


This was the run down of our conversation on this lovely twelvth of December. I had just bought a new shade of RED lipstick and was wearing my favorite red pants....(to any Puerto Rican readers...please understand the history behind it)


red lips
Me: "Hi, Pops."

Dad: "What's that you got on"

Me: "I got it today, do you like it?"

Dad: "You look Porta' Rican."

Me: "What? But I'm more Peruvian than Puerto Rican."

Dad:" You look freakin' Porta Rican, take it off!"

Me: (confused if looking "Porta Rican" was a good or bad thing...I personally always thought Puerto Ricans were good looking.)
         But Dad, it's a trend now, it's not out of the ordinary."

Dad: (looking at my Mom) You would let her out of the house like that?

Mom: I think she looks nice

Dad: I cannot believe you would let her out of the house like that, (looking back at me and his voice getting louder--)You know what, you're not allowed to wear dat lipstick in da house, go take it awf!!

Me: Seriously, Dad? Okay, I just won't look at you while I wear it...and I got up and went to the bathroom...where I heard him whisper to my Mom that I look like...

what my Dad saw in Brooklyn growing up:

all the Puerto Rican girls who wore that red lipstick that us gals love so much is what all the Prostitutues wore. So, the one day my Dad speaks up against anything I wear is because I remind him of a prostitue. I will full-heartedly take that as love. The color of crimson RED. Haha. Thanks for lookin' out for me Pops. I still wear it but he doesn't know about it. Thank goodness not everyone associates red lipstick with that, only if you're from New York, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment