Monday, December 6, 2010

Esticker

I just like emphasizing spanish words. Today I did it twice with "esticker" and "bulla". Ode to bulla. Bulla means noise. Esticker is the easy one...it just means sticker. I believe it is spelled the same way in spanish only the pronounce it with the e-sticker. I loved Peru for showing me that english is very much used in latin america, just with their pronunciation--and they have all the right.

With my missionaries today as we finished two sisters stayed after. They always stay after now to do a door contact with me. So, they did that and sometimes I really think I'm a horrid teacher. I want to laugh at inappropriate times...all the time. It's just......well, let's do an example. Today @ the end of class my missionaries insisted on playing a language game to practice the grammar principle they learned today. To sound like i know spanish i will tell you what it is called: present progressive/past progressive. Basically, that is saying something like "I am going, I was going, we were going, etc.". So, my missionaries wanted to do a review about it involving a game. I am rolling my eyes @ myself right now. So, I asked them to clean up their tables and get a piece of paper out. I look over @ one of my Elder's desk and chuckled to myself. Then I say things that I probably should retain to myself, but it was so tempting. This is how it went down:

Yo (me): "Elder sabe q significa la palabra pais?"

el (him): "Umm....no"

yo: "Los estado unidos es un pais, Peru es un pais, Colombia es un pais, Ecuador es un pais, Australia es un pais....q significa pais?"

el: "ummm..."

the rest of the class got it for him. Okay, actually he guessed something completely out there and i had to hold back my laugh which my Hermanas totally called me out on! I wish i had a better memory to tell this story. Sadly, it all leaves me not long after...

Then I continued

yo: "Okay Elder, su mesa me recuerda de italia, el pais"

el: "I look like italy?"

yo: laughing. "No, su MESA me recuerda de italia. ?Q significa mesa, elder?

el: "I have no idea. You want me to put everything away?"

yo: "No Elder. *then I started to do movements with my hands and started to immitate me. It was the funniest thing i could have ever seen." I continued to say and make awkward hand movements to try to explain like sign language: "Cuando miro a su mesa y le veo a usted pienso en italia, el pais."

After a while of the class holding back and letting him figure it out he said,

"Oh, when you look at my desk you think of italy."

yo: Si, veo a las cosas encima y pienso en el torre...el torre de piza.

His desk was full of books but it was sort of like this: scriptures, preach my gospel, hymn book, another PMG in spanish, notebeook....that's not exactlythe most orderly stack of books...i love it. I love the weird things people do. I find them funny while no one else does.
He started to laugh and apologized. I didn't want an apology, i just find humor in random things that probably don't need to be said. I dig it.

I had to go back to work and have cleaning checks so tbc....(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment