Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Identity Crisis?

For most people, this is a natural thing. Some people, of both genders, have issues with this, so maybe they might be excluded now or at some future point in time. Most,  if not all babies, may be born bald but eventually their hair catches up with them, and that continues to grow, no matter how much Mommy cuts it off or gum calls for a trim (or sometimes a massive chop).

Cut your hair and it grows back. It’s not like a limb, you know--enjoy it now because once it’s gone welcome to  a world of…a prosthetic arm, a wooden leg, or a silver hook…

But

no make-up pic back in July (before)
Doesn’t it feel that way?!

Once you cut it all off, you find yourself in the same stance in from of the mirror, fiddling with your hair, combing it,  analyzing it, all over a consecutive period of time with that lingering thought: did this nonsense grow???

I've been struggling with the reality that yes, it will grow back. Part of the reason why I chopped my, in retrospect—gorgeous locks—was because I wanted to get away from the self-absorbing funk we can all be guilty of. HOWEVER, it’s a total b-word letting go of something as ridiculous as HAIR.

As a lady, there are so many expectations (not necessarily fact),  from all sides of the argument that a lady should have long hair for: wedding pictures (not getting married anytime soon here FYI, in case you are wondering), to be considered attractive to the opposite sex,  to have sex appeal,  to be considered modern, to have something to flip when dancing (which I miss MUCHO)…however, this is something that most women use as reasons to not cut off their hair, even when they want to.  What a bunch of crap, right? It’s just shizz that grows on the top of your head, how did this become so symbolic and important to most people, men and women? I saw that Jennifer Aniston cut her hair and her reaction was that she already regretted it after just doing it. WTFudge? Really? Confession: I’m totally like her. 

I felt that way 5 days after the encounter with scissors. 

As of late, I am having a severe identity crisis. I hate to admit it. It literally makes me gag…oh wait..I just  threw up a little in my mouth. Aren't you glad you can’t see me?

My sudden decision to cut my hair…and now my hair gone…has taken a toll on my confidence and on my style. It’s hard to dress the same and feel trendy like I once did.  My reflection is someone else because I have no clue who is looking me back, but what the "h", she totally copied my glasses.

"After": *a baby is the new accessory* (today)
So, instead of continuing on the pathetic rant of how I feel “ugly” and “ew” and struggle with my current do of the hair…I am focusing on being what Shakespeare said, “to thine self be true”. As much as I want my outsides to match my insides, if I have good insides in general,
 then,

I can sleep at night.

If that is my new focus from a little hair-chopping, then so be it.

I find it most beneficial.

To stopping vanity. 

Good night--zzZZ






4 comments:

  1. You are beautiful, and you pull off short hair the same as long hair: with sass and grace! You make anything work for you! I have always admired your style :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Emily. I just saw your post now. You are darling, i read your blog too, haha, much love <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been dealing with this hair chopping regret as of late. Some days I love the ease of fixing my short locks and the compliments of how it suits me, and then I see someone with the long wavy locks I had and wish I could style my hair that way or wish I had hair to flip like the woman in the store just did. It really does affect your confidence and outlook on yourself. I am starting to come to terms slowly but am facing the fact that I am at a point to cut it and keep the style or start growing it back out.. UGH! decisions. haha
    On another note, I believe your cut suits you as well as the long locks did. You emanate beauty and love so well that your hair is an aspect of you but is not the first thing people notice. I also think it shows your confidence, but understand how it can make you feel less confident. There isn't much to hide behind with short hair. Anyway, you are beautiful, it looks great on you, and your style still rocks!! I miss you very much and love you!

    ReplyDelete