Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Red Day: Good and Bad



Ever since it happened all I've done is notice the color red, I even considered going up to the girl walking on the other side of the street to see if she found it. I did not have to. The red turned out to be pink...definitely not my color.

I woke up today around the same time I normally do...5:30am. I got dressed, put on my face to last me the day, and then looked at my scarves, neatly hung on a white hanger in my walk-in closet. Don't be fooled, that doesn't happen often, organization lasts only so long until i destroy it only having to clean it up later. With only a few seconds left before I would have to confront the possibility of running toward the bus stop, I contemplated between the three options of scarves hanging ever-so nicely. (I neatly placed them on that hanger, I know, another rock on point for me). I chose the best, my red scarf, from PerĂº.

In June, 2007, my fate would be a chalina (spanish for scarf). Location: Chiclayo, Peru. Serving as a missionary and spending most of my life outside than inside, my pensionista (church member who fed us 3 meals a day), Hermana Galvez, would very worryingly tell me how cold it was and how i needed to keep my throat covered at night, so I would not get sick. She reminded me of my own Mom. Very graciously she lent me her sons scarf...never knowing if he was okay with that, until I finally got my own. My ruby-red scarf...and it came with a hat (yes, and proud of it). I used that scarf more than i remember, in Peru and after. Compliments poured in over it. Yes, it's yarn woven together, but of all the bazillion people in the world, who made it? I still remember the face of the woman of whom I bought that item, and how we made an exchange that day. I gave her soles (Peruvian money) and she gave me a memory embedded on my heart.

I am quite attached to the things I've acquired in Peru (my coconut ring, the plastic earings given as a gift in Jaen, the beaded bracelet my convert gave me, the hemp bracelet received by a sister from the CCM in Lima, the ring a girl gave me when i told her i liked her ring...yup, she took it off and gave it right to me, my "te amo" (i love you) Peru shirt...the list goes on). Little pieces of history from my life, all with a special meaning, sentiment, a certain time cherished. It isn't just a thing, there is a meaning behind it, memories of who I was when those experiences occurred, and how it affects me now. I can even picture the people of whom I received these treasures in my MIND! ah! So amazing how you can never forget a face!

Yeah, today i ruined that. Sitting on the bus on my way to work armed with the necesitites: coat, backpack, lunchbox (in the seat next to me keeping me company), and my red peruvian scarf. My face squished in what seemed like the red sea filled with fog (a.k.a. my breath). Sitting there, I tried reviewing for my Music 101 test. My mind filled with words like: Middle Ages, polyphony, plain-chanting, In paradism. Arriving at my stop I shoved all my notes into my music book, grabbed my lunch box, took out my bus pass...and jumped off. Within one minute...i realized how many memories lied within a ball of yarn folded nicely together that once sat upon my neck...I left in on the squishy blue seat on bus 833 northbound.

I called UTA, got the bus schedule again and found my same bus 2 hours later...boarding and my scarf was taken. Not there. Disappointment.

The good news??? I've been in the need for ketchup for the longest time, and my co-worker and friend Celeste, offered me hers for my hamburger that i had for lunch. Yup, she gave me the whole bottle. That will be the only red I will enjoy looking at. But you know what?...

That's enough red for one day.



















body {background-image:url("http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii179/chelstephenson/aquapoppydesigns/fieldofblue.jpg"); background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-attachment: fixed; }

3 comments:

  1. I like all the colors...but red is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog!!! and I am very sad that you have lost your peruvian scarf. I lost my peruvian hat, but have no idea where. could just be hidden in a corner at my mom's house. I don't know. but i am sad about that. I LOVE YOU!!! keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete